Happy Thursday, neighbors! Here’s everything you need to know today in Reno.
First, today’s weather:
Mostly sunny and chilly. High: 45 Low: 20.
Here are the top three stories today in Reno:
- The University of Nevada has ended its COVID-19 testing with Northshore Clinical Laboratories on Tuesday, effective immediately. The move was made due to “dissatisfaction with Northshore’s service in helping to conduct on-campus COVID-19 testing for students, faculty, and staff,” according to University officials. Testing operations on campus were taken over by The Student Health Center and resumed on Thursday. (KOLO)
- Over the weekend, Hand Craft Coffee expanded to a new location in downtown Reno. Hand Craft Coffee was started by Marissa Tidd and began as a food truck that served construction workers building the Tesla Gigafactory four years ago. Since then, Tidd opened two locations inside Tesla as the building started to come together, and now, has a new location in Reno. (KOLO)
- Seven graduates celebrated their achievements at Reno’s Veterans Court Graduation. The veterans graduated from a rehabilitation program called CAMO-RNO Veterans Treatment Court, which is a 12 to 18-month program for veterans and active-duty military personnel charged with misdemeanor crimes who are looking for a second chance. The graduates’ lives have changed for the better and some are now reconnecting with estranged families and even bringing new life into the world. (KRNV My News 4)
From our sponsor:
Hey Reno, are you looking to buy a house, refinance or just explore your options? Check out the new Patch Mortgage Center for all your home financing needs!
Today in Reno:
- Baby Story TimeAt Sierra View Library (11:00 AM)
From my notebook:
- Master Officer Jerry Bowden was hired by the Reno Police Department in Jan. 2001. In his 20-year career, he is the first and ohenly black officer awarded Master Officer at RPD. (Facebook)
- the SPCA or Northern Nevada had 117 adoptions in January! (Facebook)
- Well, good ol’ Phil saw his shadow today, which means he is “predicting” six more weeks of winter. Here’s the latest discussion with the US National Weather Service Reno Nevada’s predictions for the Sierra and western Nevada for the next couple of weeks. (Facebook)
- the University of Nevada, Reno’s COVID-19 Dashboard has been updated for Jan. 22-28, 2022. (Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the Reno Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
You’re all caught up for today! See you all tomorrow for your next update.
— Dominique-Noelle Rafael
About me: Dominique is a self taught UX/UI designer based in Princeton, NJ. She recently graduated from the University of Maryland last spring with a bachelor’s degree in Information Science. She is excited to begin working on the Patch newsletter project this year!